New Balance 880 and New Balance 890 are neutral running shoes with a lot of cushioning. These cushioning are adaptable to your stride and provides you with a non-restrictive movement.
Then what is the difference between these two running shoes?
In the sections below, you will find a very detailed comparison of New Balance 880 Vs 890. We have compared all the major features and how it would feel to run in them.
So, without further ado let’s proceed.
This is our winner
Last update on 2023-09-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The main differences between New Balance 880 Vs 890
- The heel-to-toe drop of New Balance 880 is 10mm and the heel-to-toe drop of New Balance 890 is 6mm which is almost half of New Balance 880.
- New Balance 880 uses Fresh Foam X for cushioning which is ultra-soft whereas New Balance 890 uses FuelCell for cushioning which is a bit stiffer.
- New Balance 880 is great for shorter and longer distance running whereas New Balance 890 is great for shorter distances of up to 10K. Beyond that, you will feel a bit restrictive to run in them.
- New Balance 880 is a bit heavier than New Balance 890. For women, New Balance 880 weighs around 8.7oz or 247g whereas New Balance 890 weighs around 7.2oz or 204.11g. The men’s version of New Balance 880 weighs around 10.5oz or 298g whereas New Balance 890 weighs around 8.4oz or 283.13g.
- For the women’s version of the shoe, New Balance 880 has one more size available than New Balance 890. For the men’s version, New Balance 880 has five more sizes available than New Balance 890.
- New Balance 880 has more toe-box width available than New Balance 890 for both versions.
- The latest generation of New Balance 880 is 11 whereas the current generation of New Balance 890 is 8.
- ✅ New Balance 880 Vs 890
- 1. An Overview
- 2. This is our winner
- 3. New Balance 880v11 Vs New Balance 890v8 – Features at a glance
- 4. The main difference between New Balance 880 Vs 890
- 5. New Balance 890 Vs. New Balance 880 – A head to head comparison
- 6. Similar Shoes
- 7. Conclusion
New Balance 890 Vs 880 – An Overview
Also, the feel of these two shoes is also completely different and they are suited for different styles of running.
New Balance 880 and New Balance 890 are compared against all these parameters and much more in the following sections.
So, let’s check out what we found out…
New Balance 880 v11 Vs New Balance 890 v8 – Features at a glance
|New Balance 880 v11||New Balance 890 v8|
8.7oz / 247g (Women)
10.5 oz/298g (Men)
|Arch Support||Medium||Medium, High|
|Midsole Type||Fresh Foam X Cushion||FuelCell Cushioning|
|Technology||Fresh Foam X cushion, Molded Footbed, Blown Rubber, Double Jacquard Engineered Mesh, Molded External Heel Counter.||FuelCell, REVLite, Blown Rubber|
5.0 – 13.0 (Women)
6.0 – 20.0 (Men)
5.0 – 12.0 (Women)
7.0 – 16.0 (Men)
Narrow, Standard, Wide, X-Wide (Women)
Narrow, Standard, Wide, X-Wide (Men)
Standard, Wide (Women)
Standard, Wide (Men)
|Use||Long Distance, Treadmill, Road||Shorter Distances, Treadmill, Road|
HEEL-TO-TOE DROP: 10mm
WEIGHT: 8.7oz/247g (Women) / 10.5oz/298g (Men)
ARCH SUPPORT: Medium
MIDSOLE TYPE: Fresh Foam X
TECHNOLOGY: Fresh Foam X, Molded Footbed, Blown Rubber, Double Jacquard Engineered Mesh, Molded External Heel Counter.
SIZES: 5.0 – 13.0 (Women) / 6.0 – 20.0 (Men)
WIDTH: Narrow, Standard, Wide, X-Wide [Women] / Narrow, Standard, Wide, X-Wide [Men]
USE: Long Distance, Treadmill, Road
HEEL-TO-TOE DROP: 6mm
WEIGHT: 7.2oz/204.11g (Women) / 8.4oz/238.13g (Men)
ARCH SUPPORT: Medium, High
MIDSOLE TYPE: FuelCell Cushioning
TECHNOLOGY: FuelCell, RevLite, Blown Rubber
SIZES: 5.0 – 12.0 (Women) / 7.0 – 16.0 (Men)
WIDTH: Standard, Wide (Women) / Standard, Wide (Men)
USE: Shorter Distances, Treadmill, Road
New Balance 890 Vs. New Balance 880 – A head to head comparison
In the above sections, we have covered a brief overview and some broader differences between New Balance 880 and New Balance 890.
Although from the same manufacturer and belonging to a very popular 800 series, these two running shoes are completely different, be their weight, the kind of cushioning, or the way they look.
In the following sections, we have compared each part and a couple of relevant features that may help you to pick the perfect New Balance running shoe for you.
The outsole of New Balance 890 is made from REVLite with rubber pods. This is a ground contact outsole and will provide you with lightweight cushioning. It is also abrasion-resistant and will provide you with a good grip.
However, some of the users are not satisfied with the durability of this outsole. For some, this falls apart too early (not sure about the amount of daily usage), so you may want to further investigate that.
The heel area and the rubber pod are lined with a different and harder rubber to protect them from wear and tear.
The outsole rubber covers almost the entire surface of the midsole and thus protects it from falling apart early.
The outsole of New Balance 880 is made from blown rubber. It is a durable rubber that will provide you with exceptional grip and will improve the lifespan of this running shoe.
Although it’s a full-contact outsole, it is not a continuous piece of rubber. There is a harder rubber lining along the heel and the tip of the forefoot. Then there are two softer rubber segments under the balls of the foot and arch section.
Also, they have carefully left out the flex grooves areas of the midsole, to provide better flexibility and smoother heel-to-toe movement.
The midsole of New Balance 890 is made from FuelCell. This delivers a propulsive feel help you to drive forward.
This will provide you with good cushioning and will adapt to your feet. However, this sole is stiffer than Fresh Foam and you can run only up to 10K. Beyond that, this sole may not be very comfortable.
The energy return of this shoe is good due to the stiffer sole and you will be able to enjoy a cushy and responsive ride.
This midsole is good as a daily trainer and is perfect for shorter runs.
The midsole of New Balance 880 has Fresh Foam X. It is a pushier cushion than Fresh Foam and delivers a soft underfoot feel.
This will adapt to your running and will provide you with customized cushioning. This is also a great long-distance running shoe and will keep you comfortable throughout the entire running distance.
However, due to the softness, the responsiveness of this midsole is a little dampened. You may not find it as responsive as the New Balance 890. If you like to run longer distances then this can be your perfect companion
Also, to provide you with added cushioning, it has a molded footbed for additional comfort.
The upper of New Balance 890 has lightweight synthetic mesh. It is breathable and will provide you with a customized fit.
This material stretches with your feet providing you with a comfortable and secure fit.
The upper of New Balance 890 is very aesthetic. It has a bold-colored and super thick angular stripe on the side with the New Balance logo printed on it.
This provides it with a trendy casual look which is appropriate when you take it out on a run or wear it with your jeans.
It has that extended Achilles support to provide you with a more comfortable and secure fit. Also, the 890 printed on the back of the heel area adds to the overall appeal of this shoe.
Overall, it looks very stylish and trendy and will make you stand out in the crowd.
The New Balance 880 has Double Jacquard Mesh which provides you with proper support and stretch.
It will provide you with an excellent fit and will move your feet during running. It has a contrasting color forming a dark and light contrast and a patterned look to this upper.
It looks elegant and provides you with a confident demeanor. One sharp contrast that I liked is the heel color and the tongue are. They have a sharp contrast with the rest of the upper providing you with a more upbeat look.
It has a molded external heel counter which will lock the heel in place and will reduce the movement of the foot and increases comfort.
Also, there is an edgy pattern present on the heel counter providing a more trendy look to this shoe.
In terms of weight, New Balance 880 is more than New Balance 890.
New Balance 880 weighs around 8.7oz /247g for women and 10.5oz/298g for men.
New Balance 890 weighs around 7.2oz/204.11g for women and 8.4oz/238.13g for men.
The price of New Balance 880 is a bit more than New Balance 890. If you compare the prices of the latest versions, you will see a difference of around $10.
It could be because New Balance 880 uses newer technology than New Balance 890. However, the difference is not too much and you should choose the one which is more comfortable for you.
Running Shoes Similar To New Balance 880 v11
New Balance 880 is a neutral running shoe that is excellent with cushioning. It is a great shoe for both shorter and longer distance running. It has excellent breathability and will provide you a healthy in-shoe environment.
Brooks Ghost is a running shoe that will provide you with a similar running experience. It has soft cushioning and is great for shorter or longer distance running. It has good breathability and will provide you with a great in-shoe running environment.
- THIS WOMEN'S SHOE IS FOR: Runners looking for a smooth ride that won’t distract from the fun of the run. The Ghost 14 offers a simplified midsole construction which creates more seamless transitions. This Brooks Ghost 14 is a certified PDAC A5500 Diabetic shoe and has been granted the APMA Seal of Acceptance. We recommend ordering Brooks running shoes 1/2 to one size larger than your dress shoe.
- SUPPORT AND CUSHION: The Ghost 14 offers neutral support while providing high energizing cushioning. Ideal for road running, cross training, the gym or wherever you might want to take them! Predecessor: Ghost 13
- BALANCED, SOFT CUSHIONING: BioMoGo DNA and DNA LOFT cushioning work together to provide a just-right softness underfoot without losing responsiveness and durability - yet it feels lighter than ever. DNA LOFT now makes up the entire midsole, for a softer, smoother, ride.
Last update on 2023-09-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Running Shoes Similar To New Balance 890 v8
New Balance 890 is a neutral running shoe that is responsive and provides you with a good energy return. It is stylish and will provide you with decent cushioning.
A running shoe that can provide you with a similar running experience is Mizuno Wave Rider. It is excellent with cushioning and will provide you with a good running experience. Also, it is stylish and you will definitely stand out from the crowd.
- MIZUNO ENERZY (FOAM): Offering versatility in its application, while still maintaining softness and resilience. It will help enhance performance capabilities.
- MIZUNO WAVE: The MIZUNO WAVE plate disperses energy from impact to a broader area providing a stable platform and a superior cushioning.
- X10 Outsole: Durable carbon rubber that allows for longer wear.
Last update on 2023-08-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
In the above sections, you will find almost all the similarities and differences between New Balance 880 Vs 890. However, while doing so, we liked one of them more than the other.
New Balance 880 has a softer cushioning and will provide you with a much more adaptable midsole. Compared to this, New Balance 890 is stiffer. Some of the users mentioned that New Balance 890 is not as durable and it may start falling apart early. Also, you cannot run long distances in New Balance 890, however, with 880 it will be a comfortable ride.
This is why we liked New Balance 880 more than New Balance 890.
If you have ever run in any of these running shoes, what was your experience? Share it with us in the comment section below…
Blogger and a fitness enthusiast. She loves running and Yoga and everything in between. She started running to manage her weight and to eat to her heart’s content. A true foodie at heart she shares whatever knowledge she has gained throughout the years about weight management and fitness.