Last Updated: June 20th, 2021
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate and an affiliate for some reputed brands, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost you. I may recieve a commission if you purchase something mentioned in this post. See more details here.
Mizuno Wave Inspire is a stability running shoe and Asics Gel Kayano will support runners with neutral to moderate pronation.
So, today’s comparison between Mizuno Wave Inspire Vs Asics Gel Kayano will be an interesting one.
Without further ado, let’s proceed…
This is our favorite
Last update on 2021-08-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The main differences between Mizuno Wave Inspire Vs Asics Gel Kayano
- Mizuno Wave Inspire is a support shoe, whereas Asics Gel Kayano will support neutral to medium overpronation.
- In Asics Gel Kayano has different heel-to-toe drop for men and women, whereas Mizuno Wave Inspire has the same 12mm heel drop for both genders.
- Mizuno Wave Inspire is a bit heavier than Asics Gel-Kayano for the women’s version. However, for the men’s version, Asics Gel Kayano is heavier than Mizuno Wave Inspire.
- In Asics Gel Kayano, you have a size range from 6.0-16.0 for men. In Mizuno Wave Inspire you have a size range from 7.0- 16.0 for men. For women, Mizuno Wave Inspire has sizes from 6.0 to 12.0 and Asics Gel Kayano has sizes from 5.0 to 13.0.
- The latest generation of Mizuno Wave Inspire is 17, and the current Asics Gel Kayano is 27.
- ✅ Mizuno Wave Inspire Vs Asics Gel Kayano
- 1. An Overview
- 2. This is our winner
- 3. Mizuno Wave Inspire Vs Asics Gel Kayano – Features at a glance
- 4. The main difference between Mizuno Wave Inspire Vs Asics Gel-Kayano
- 5. Asics Gel-Kayano Vs. Mizuno Wave Inspire – A head to head comparison
- 6. Similar Shoes
- 7. Conclusion
Mizuno Wave Inspire Vs Asics Gel Kayano – An Overview
Although Asics Kayano is a running shoe, it is not suitable for speed runs but is very suitable for long-distance running.
Mizuno Wave Inspire on the other hand is as supple as it gets and will provide you with excellent cushioning.
In the below sections, we will cover the major differences between Mizuno Wave Inspire and Asics Gel Kayano.
Mizuno Wave Inspire Vs Asics Gel Kayano – Features at a glance
|Mizuno Wave Inspire 17||Asics Gel-Kayano 27|
|Heel-to-toe Drop||12mm||13mm (Women)|
9.2 oz / 260.8g (Women)
10.9oz / 309g (Men)
|Arch Support||Moderate arch support||Medium, High|
|Midsole Type||Energetic Cushioning||Maximum Cushion|
|Technology||Wave Technology, Mizuno Enerzy, U4ic, X10 carbon rubber||Gel Technology, FlyteFoam Midsole Technology, FlyteFoam Propel Technology, Dynamic DUOMAX Support System, SPACE TRUSSTIC Technology|
6.0 – 12.0 (Women)
7.0 – 16.0 (Men)
5.0 – 13.0 (Women)
6.0 – 16.0 (Men)
Standard, Wide (Women)
Standard, Wide (Men)
Normal, Wide (Women)
Normal, Extra Wide 2E (Men)
|Use||Long Distance, Treadmill, Road||Long Distance, Treadmill, Road|
Asics Gel-Kayano Vs. Mizuno Wave Inspire – A head to head comparison
In the above sections, we have provided the broader differences between Mizuno Wave Inspire and Asics Gel-Kayano.
However, there are many others that we will find out in the detailed comparison below.
Mizuno Wave Inspire combines a couple of technologies to come up with its outsole.
It has an X10 compound located in the heels. This is a carbon rubber that is very durable and provides you with better tractions.
It has blown rubber in the forefoot. This improves cushioning and responsiveness and has good shock absorption. Also, this maintains the flexibility of these running shoes.
The third and last component that is present in the midsole of Mizuno Wave Inspire is the Flex Controllers. These Flex Controllers are present in the high flex areas on the outsole and acts as miniature wave plates for increase flexibility and reduction of weight.
However, if you look at the outsole of Asics Gel Kayano, it has AHAR material on the outsole. It is a proprietary compound from Asics called Asics High Abrasion Rubber and is very durable.
This material is placed in critical areas and will provide you with excellent durability and traction.
For this, you have U4ic in the midsole. It is a midsole compound that will provide you with excellent comfort and performance. However, it is very lightweight.
Apart from U4ic, Mizuno Wave Inspire also has a double fan wave that provides you with excellent support. Double fan wave is a result of combining two fan waves overlapping to provide stability to runners with severe overpronation.
It will also provide you with increased movement control for a safer and stable ride.
The third and last component of this midsole is the Mizuno ENERZY foam heel wedge. This material will provide you with excellent softness and rebound and is very durable. This makes this running shoe a very good choice for heel strikers.
If you thought Mizuno has gone overboard with its Wave Inspire midsole, wait till you learn about the Asics Gel Kayano midsole.
Asics Gel Kayano comes with forefoot and rearfoot gel cushioning. Being a silicone-based gel, this provides you with responsiveness and excellent shock absorption.
It has Flytefoam material that is lightweight and durable and this cushioning is also environmentally friendly.
Apart from Flytefoam it also has Flytefoam Propel which provides you with a softer step-in feel and produces more bounce.
Also, being a support running shoe it implements the Dynamic DuoMax Support System. It will help you to control your overpronation and also a much smoother heel-to-toe transition.
To reduce the weight of the overall sole unit, Asics Gel Kayano uses the space trusstic. It not only reduces the weight of the sole it also provides stability while retaining the structural integrity of the shoe.
It has a gender-specific trusstic that is suitable for both men’s and women’s specific biomechanical needs and provides them with the required protection and the smooth ride that they need.
Also, for a much smoother and balanced heel-to-toe transition you have IGS or Impact Guidance System.
The upper of Asics Gel Kayano has three main components. It has an engineered mesh that provides you with lightweight breathability. It stretches and relaxes in the key areas.
This makes your movement more natural and you will not feel restricted. Also, this is the one that helps to maintain the structure of these running shoes.
It has an external heel clutch that uses an exoskeleton to wrap around your heel for a more secure fit. It achieves this with the help of a new X-shaped structure which again is lined with memory foam for a more personalized fit.
Mizuno Wave Inspire on the other hand has double layer air mesh on the upper. The bottom layer of this mesh is stronger to hold the entire structure. Also, this mesh is great with breathability.
Apart from the mesh it also has overlays on the medial and lateral sides. This helps to secure the foot in place and will help you with a more natural movement.
The weight of Mizuno Wave Inspire is a bit more for the women’s version of the shoe. However, for the men’s version, Asics Gel-Kayano is heavier than Wave Inspire.
The weight of Mizuno Wave Inspire is 9.2 oz or 260.8 g and that of Asics Gel Kayano is 8.8 oz or 249 g for the women’s version of the shoe.
Whereas for the men’s version of the shoe it is 10.9 oz or 309 g and 11.1 oz or 315 g for Mizuno Wave Inspire and Asics Gel Kayano respectively.
In general price of Mizuno Wave Inspire is lesser than Asics Gel Kayano. If you go for Mizuno Wave Inspire you will have to spend around $20 less than Asics Gel Kayano.
However, both of these running shoes are pricey and you can get them for a lesser price during clearance (typically during the June-July time frame) or during the holiday season.
In the above sections, we have covered all the differences and similarities of Mizuno Wave Inspire and Asics Gel Kayano.
However, if you want to do some further research, then you can check out some of the alternatives to these running shoes that we have mentioned below.
Running Shoes Similar To Mizuno Wave Inspire 17
Mizuno Wave Inspire is a good running shoe for stability and overpronation support.
Here is another running shoe that you may want to do some research on before making a purchase…
- THIS WOMEN'S SHOE IS FOR: Runners looking for a supportive shoe that's soft and smooth, the Adrenaline GTS 21 offers an improved ride and reliable support for however your body moves so you can forget the shoes and enjoy the run. This Brooks Adrenaline GTS 21 is a certified PDAC A5500 Diabetic shoe and has been granted the APMA Seal of Acceptance.
- SUPPORT AND CUSHION: Provides just the right amount of stability and support, great for overpronation while providing high energizing cushioning. Ideal for road running, cross training, the gym or wherever you might want to take them! Predecessor: Adrenaline GTS 20
- BALANCED, SOFT CUSHIONING: The DNA LOFT Crash Pad cushions each footfall and works with BioMoGo DNA to adapt to your every stride.
Last update on 2021-08-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Running Shoes Similar To Asics Gel Kayano 27
Asics Gel Kayano is a very nice running shoe that will provide you with a good amount of support.
Here is another alternative that you may want to consider if you are looking for an alternative.
- Rearfoot and Forefoot GEL Technology Cushioning System - Attenuates shock during impact and toe-off phases, and allows movement in multiple planes as the foot transitions through the gait cycle.
- FlyteFoam Midsole Technology - Our FlyteFoam technology provides exceptional bounce back and responsiveness no matter the distance, utilizing organic super fibers to help reduce packing out that traditionally happens with softer, low density foams.
- DuoMax Support System - A dual density midsole system positioned to enhance support and stability, positioned sport specifically.
Last update on 2021-08-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
In the above sections, we have provided you with a lot of similarities and differences between Mizuno Wave Inspire Vs Asics Gel Kayano. This will help you to choose the right pair for yourself.
However, due to the price point, individual focus on women’s and men’s shoes (like different heel-drop), we have picked Asics Gel Kayano as our favorite.
However, if you don’t agree with us, let us know in the comment section below…
Blogger and a fitness enthusiast. She loves running and Yoga and everything in between. She started running to manage her weight and to eat to her heart’s content. A true foodie at heart she shares whatever knowledge she has gained throughout the years about weight management and fitness.