When was the last time you thought of weight loss? 5 min back right? You are not alone. Nearly 50% of Americans want to lose weight. Most of the people want a quick weight loss. Is it even possible? Does it really help? How can you do? What can you do? There are numerous questions…
Is running quickest way to lose weight?
Yes, running is the quickest way to lose weight. You do not need any fancy equipment, trainer or wait to hit the gym for running. All you need is the goal, right mindset and just keep running. Running is a safe and inexpensive workout. There is no shortcut to a healthy weight loss, hence you must maintain a balance of your intake and the workout. On average, a man weighing 200 pounds lose around 350 cal running for 30 min at a speed of 10 min/mile. Whereas, a woman weighing around 160 pounds lose around 300 cal walking for 30 min at the speed of 10min/mile. Note that the calorie burn depends on other factors like your current weight, age, sex, and your natural metabolic rate.
You can lose weight!!! Let’s figure out how running can help…
How much weight can you lose by running?
Burning more calories than what you are consuming leads to weight loss.
In other words, weight loss is dependent both on your diet and workout.
To be more precise, it is 80% diet and 20% exercise.
With all the exercise that you put in, you must choose your food very cautiously.
Like it is said a healthy weight loss takes time.
By healthy weight loss, I mean losing 1-2 pound a week.
To lose 1 pound, you need to lose 3500 cal.
Running for 30 min in a day at an average speed on 6-7 mph, makes you lose 500 cal.
So, if you run for a week you lose 3500 cal i.e 1 pound.
However, you must be very careful about calorie intake.
Always, stick to a healthy diet plan, else you will end up wasting all your hard work.
The other point to remember is your current weight.
If you are towards the heavier side of the scale, it is easy for you to lose the first few pounds.
If you want immediate results, either you exercise excessively or opt for a crash diet.
Both of these harms your body.
If you over workout, the chances of injury increases, at the same time if you are not eating appropriately you remain undernourished.
That is why it is always recommended to follow an intermediate way and go for gradual weight loss.
How long should I run to lose weight?
Honestly speaking, if you are a new runner, running is difficult, but not impossible.
Again if you are a little heavy, your body weight makes it even more challenging.
Should you not try running at all?
Nah…you should do otherwise…
Let’s talk about a safe running plan for beginners.
- A proper running shoe – Not a tennis shoe, not a training shoe and definitely not your favorite pair of sneakers. If you don’t want to spend much, you can use any of these budget running shoes which are beginner friendly and will last for a longer period of time.
- A fitness tracker (Optional)
- Proper mindset – You will fail. A lot of times, however you should never give up.
- Your first target should be to able to run for the whole 20 min.
- For beginners, initially, this may be a little difficult.
- You can try the walk-run technique, where you walk for 2 min and run for 2 min.
- As your body is able able to sustain running, increase the running period.
- With consistent practice, you will feel the difference in 1-2 weeks.
- By the end of 3-4 weeks, you will be able to run for the full 20 min.
- You may find that weight loss is not significant.
Don’t get demotivated, this is just the beginning.
Your next target is to build up the pace.
If you are running at 3-4 mph, you must increase it to 5-6 mph.
Building up the pace takes time.
Here is what you can do.
- Find your stride rate. Take a timer for 1 min. Count how many times your right foot touches the ground. Multiply it by 2 to get your stride rate.
- Let’s say your right foot touches the ground 80 times, then your stride rate is 160.
- Now select a 30 seconds interval in your running where you run with 5% more stride rate i.e 168 spm.
- Do this 3-4 times in a week.
- Once you are able to do this, increase the interval to 45 sec.
- Repeat this until you are able to run 1 min with the increased speed.
- Now you again increase the stride rate by 5% more and repeat the same steps.
- You will see the improvement in your running stamina as well as on the speed.
- A 30-40 min run at the average speed 5-6mph is sufficient to lose around 1-2 pound in a week.
Is it better to run in the morning or evening for weight loss?
For weight loss consistent running is the key, it really does not matter what time you are running.
However, running in the morning and evening has its own pros and cons.
It depends on you, what do you want to select and go ahead with.
Running in the morning
- A good supply of fresh air and oxygen
- Run with a fresh mind
- Running in the morning finishes your workout plan for the day. You need not have to arrange your schedule for your workout.
- In the morning your muscles and joints are stiff so you need a good amount of warm-up.
- If you are planning to run long, make sure to eat something before running and drink sufficiently else you will feel fatigued.
Running the evening
- It is a very good way to de-stress yourself after a long day
- In a tropical region where the sun is harsh, it is better to run at a lower temperature as heat impacts your running.
- Running long in the evening can take a toll on your sleep.
- You need to be extra cautious about running in the less lighted streets, highways, etc.
- During monsoon, it’s better to avoid running the evening.
How long should I run to lose weight on a treadmill?
You can also make it way more comfortable and less prone to injury.
Its a great alternative to running outside.
The question often lingers, how much shall I run?
- Most of the treadmills nowadays come with the fancy in-built fat burning program.
- However, if you do not have this feature, it is always good to run for 20-30 min at an average pace.
- You can start with 5 min warm-up walk at a slow speed and increase it to a speed of 6-7 mph.
- Continue to run at this pace for 20-30 min and again reduce your pace down so that your heart rate is normal.
- This is a safe workout on the treadmill.
- You can repeat this 4-5 times a week.
The most treadmill comes with the “incline” feature.
Walking on the incline gives you the feel of up-hill training.
Incline workout is even more intense but that may put extra pressure on your knees.
It is recommended for beginners to get used to running on the plain surface before trying the incline.
How much should I run a week to lose weight?
Normally, running for 1 mile at a moderate speed of 5-6 mph makes you burn around 100 cal.
If you are running 4 miles a day you burn around 500 cal.
This way in a week you burn around 3500 cal.
To lose one pound in a day you need to lose 3500 cal.
So as per the above statistic, running for 4 miles a day for a week makes you lose 1 pound in a week.
As I have mentioned above, don’t overload your plate to lose the benefits of running.
Remember every drop of sweat counts.
The Best Gifts for Running A Marathon. Garmin Forerunner 235. AfterShokz Titanium Open-Ear Headphones. Theragun G3PRO Percussive Therapy Device. Apple Watch Series 5. Buff Unisex Adult. Marathon Gift for Runner Keychain. Gone For a Run BibFOLIO Race Bib Album. Run Fast Cook Fast Eat Slow. The Original Stretch Out Strap with Exercise Book by OPTP. CJ&M Lace Tags. SPIbelt Running Belt. Gone For a Run Sterling Silver 26.2 Marathon Necklace. TheStick Travel Stick. Saucony Women’s Performance Heel Tab Athletic Socks. Rebound: Train Your Mind to Bounce Back Stronger from Sports Injuries. TriggerPoint GRID Foam Roller. Running with Sherman: The Donkey with the Heart of a Hero. GU Energy Roctane Ultra Endurance Energy Gel. Spirit of the Marathon. Spafinder Wellness 365 Gift Card. Fidus 32oz Leakproof Tritran BPA Free Water Bottle with Motivational Time Marker. Endure Mind, Body, and the Curiously Elastic Limits of Human Performance. Lock Laces. Body Glide Original Anti-Chafe Balm. LIKGREAT Sport Series Runing Girl Figure Drop Earrings. Powerbeats Pro Wireless Earphones. Naked WHEY 1LB 100% Grass Fed Unflavored Whey Protein Powder. What I Talk About When I Talk About Running A Memoir. Adjustable Hands Free Dog Leash. Gone For a Run 26.2 Math Miles Frame. Armpocket Ultra i-35 armband. Gone For a Run Medal Hanger. Runner’s Measurements Engraved Beer Pint Glass. Yaktrax Pro Traction Cleats. Nathan Strobe Light. Bondi Band BB-146 Bath Soak Set.
What are the best gifts for injured runners? KT Tape Pro Kinesiology Therapeutic Sports Tape. Rebound: Train Your Mind to Bounce Back Stronger from Sports Injuries. POWERLIX Ankle Brace Compression Support Sleeve for Injury Recovery. Calf Compression Sleeves. ChiRunning: A Revolutionary Approach to Effortless, Injury-Free Running. Arrowell Workout Bands. Pro-Tec Athletics Hot/Cold Wrap for Knee and Ankle. The Runner’s Knee Bible: A Comprehensive Guide to Beating Knee Pain in Runners. Ankle Support Brace, Breathable Neoprene Sleeve, Adjustable Wrap. OMERIL 2 Pack Knee Brace. Bracoo Knee Support.
Are you looking for the Best Brooks Revel Alternatives? We think Brooks Ghost 12 is the best alternative to Brooks Revel. Salomon SpeedCross 5 Trail Running Shoes. Brooks Glycerin 18 Running Shoes. Adidas Ultraboost 20 Running Shoes. Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 36 Running Shoes. Hoka One One Clifton 6 Running Shoes. Nike Flex Experience RN 8 Sneaker. Saucony Guide ISO 2 Road Running Shoes. Asics Gel Nimbus 22 Running Shoes. Brooks Launch 7 Running Shoes.
Brooks Ghost 13 Vs 12. What is the difference between Brooks Ghost 13 and Brooks Ghost 12? If you compare Brooks Ghost 13 Vs Brooks 12, will Ghost 13 outshine? Let’s find out in this detailed comparison of Brooks Ghost 13 vs Ghost 12.
Top 10 Best Brooks Launch Alternatives are here. The most similar alternative to Brooks Launch is Brooks Ghost 12. The other alternatives to Brooks Launch are Asics Gel-Nimbus 22. Adidas Ultraboost 20. Altra Torin 4.5 Plush. Saucony Ride ISO 2. Brooks Glycerin 18 Running Shoes. New Balance Fresh Foam Beacon V2 Running Shoes. Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 36 Running Shoes. Hoka One One Clifton 6 Running Shoes. Saucony Triumph 17 Running Shoes.
The 7 Best Gifts For A Running Couple in 2020. Snowfox Stainless Steel 13-ounce Tumbler Wine Glasses. LOCK LACES Elastic No Tie Shoe Laces (Pack of 2). STEVOY Reflective Vest Lightweight. YQXCC Cooling Towels 2 Pack. Ristake Flag Dress Novelty Cotton Crew Moisture Wicking Socks. Science in Sport Energy Gel Pack. Rigid Strapping Tape.