Last Updated: January 10th, 2022
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate and an affiliate for some reputed brands, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost you. I may recieve a commission if you purchase something mentioned in this post. See more details here.
Asics Gel Kayano and Asics DS Trainer are able to cater to the same set of runners. Also, they are good for your every-day-running. Then between the two which is more suited for you?
So, in this comparison of Asics Gel Kayano Vs DS Trainer, which one wins? To find out, read on…
This is our winner
Last update on 2023-09-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Why did we pick this one?
- Excellent cushioning.
- Good stability.
- Silicone-based gel cushioning system.
- Upgraded style.
- Good ankle stability.
- Good for long and short-distance running.
The main differences between Asics Gel Kayano Vs DS Trainer
- The heel-to-toe drop of Asics Gel-DS Trainer is 8mm and the heel-to-toe drop of Asics Gel-Kayano is 13mm for women and 10mm for men.
- Asics Gel-DS Trainer is a bit lighter than Asics Gel-Kayano. For women, Asics DS Trainer weighs around 6.7oz or 190g whereas Asics Gel Kayano weighs around 9.1oz or 258g. For the men’s version, Asics DS Trainer weighs around 8.5oz or 241g whereas Asics Gel Kayano weighs around 10.9oz or 309g.
- Asics Gel-DS Trainer has arch support for medium to high arches whereas Asics Gel-Kayano has arch support for up to medium arches.
- Asics DS Trainer uses FlyteFoam Lyte as the midsole and Asics Gel Kayano uses FlyteFoam Blast as the midsole.
- For both versions of the shoes, Asics Gel Kayano has one more size available than Asics DS Trainer.
- The latest generation of Asics Gel Kayano is 28 whereas the current generation of Asics Gel-DS Trainer is 26.
- ✅ Asics Gel Kayano Vs DS Trainer
- 1. An Overview
- 2. This is our winner
- 3. Asics Gel Kayano 28 Vs Asics DS Trainer 26 – Features at a glance
- 4. The main difference between Asics Gel Kayano Vs DS Trainer
- 5. Asics Gel-DS Trainer Vs. Asics Gel-Kayano – A head to head comparison
- 6. Similar Shoes
- 7. Conclusion
Asics DS Trainer Vs Asics Kayano – An Overview
If you are planning to more than 10K, then my preference will be Kayano. Any distance shorter than that, DS Trainer is excellent.
In the sections that follow, we have done an in-depth comparison of Asics Gel Kayano and Asics DS Trainer.
So, let’s check out what we found out…
Asics Gel-Kayano 28 Vs Asics Gel-DS Trainer 26 – Features at a glance
|Asics Gel-Kayano 28||Asics Gel-DS Trainer 26|
|Type||Neutral, Stability||Neutral, Stability|
|Arch Support||Medium||Medium, High|
|Midsole Type||FlyteFoam BLAST||FlyteFoam Lyte|
|Technology||Engineered Mesh Upper, Dynamic DuoMax™ Support System, Rearfoot and Forefoot GEL® Technology Cushioning System, OrthoLite™ X-55 sockliner, Trusstic System® technology, Redesigned external heel counter, FlyteFoam BLAST™, 3D SPACE CONSTRUCTION™, AHAR® Plus Outsole, 3D SPACE CONSTRUCTION™||FlyteFoam Lyte, Rearfoot Gel Cushioning System, Dynamic DuoMax Support System, Propulsion Trusstic System, Impact Guidance System (IGS), Guidance Line, ASICS High Abrasion Rubber PLUS (AHARPLUS), Performance Knit|
5.0 – 13.0 (Women)
6.0 – 16.0 (Men)
5.0 – 12.0 (Women)
6.0 – 15.0 (Men)
|Use||Long Distance, Treadmill, Road||Short Distance, Treadmill, Road|
TYPE: Neutral, Stability
HEEL-TO-TOE DROP: 13mm (Women) / 10mm (Men)
WEIGHT: 9.1oz/258g (Women) / 10.9oz/309g (Men)
ARCH SUPPORT: Medium
MIDSOLE TYPE: FlyteFoam BLAST
TECHNOLOGY: Engineered Mesh Upper, Dynamic DuoMax™ Support System, Rearfoot and Forefoot GEL® Technology Cushioning System, OrthoLite™ X-55 sockliner, Trusstic System® technology, Redesigned external heel counter, FlyteFoam BLAST™, 3D SPACE CONSTRUCTION™, AHAR® Plus Outsole, 3D SPACE CONSTRUCTION™
SIZES: 5.0 – 13.0 (Women) / 6.0 – 16.0 (Men)
WIDTH: Normal (Women) / Normal (Men)
USE: Long Distance, Treadmill, Road
TYPE: Neutral, Stability
HEEL-TO-TOE DROP: 8mm
WEIGHT: 6.7oz/190g (Women) / 8.5oz/241g (Men)
ARCH SUPPORT: Medium, High
MIDSOLE TYPE: FlyteFoam Lyte
TECHNOLOGY: FlyteFoam Lyte, Rearfoot Gel Cushioning System, Dynamic DuoMax Support System, Propulsion Trusstic System, Impact Guidance System (IGS), Guidance Line, ASICS High Abrasion Rubber PLUS (AHARPLUS), Performance Knit
SIZES: 5.0 – 12.0 (Women) / 6.0 – 15.0 (Men)
WIDTH: Standard (Women) / Standard (Men)
USE: Long Distance, Treadmill, Road
Asics Gel-DS Trainer Vs. Asics Gel-Kayano – A head to head comparison
In the above sections, we have covered a brief overview and some major differences between Asics Gel-DS Trainer and Asics Kayano.
In the following sections, we are going to compare these two running shoes as much as possible.
The outsole of Asics Gel DS Trainer is made from AHARPLUS or Asics High Abrasion Rubber PLUS. This is a type of carbon rubber that will provide you with exceptional durability.
It will also provide you with a bit of extra cushioning and will provide you with an excellent grip on both wet and dry surfaces.
The outsole of Asics Gel Kayano is made from AHAR. This is placed on the critical areas to provide you with more durability and traction.
Also, there are grooves made on the forefoot that will provide you with a much easier heel-to-toe transition.
The midsole of Asics DS Trainer is made from Flytefoam Lyte. It provides you with durable and lightweight cushioning and is also environmentally friendly.
It has a rearfoot gel cushioning system and uses a silicone-based gel for excellent shock absorption.
Also, it has the Dynamic DuoMax Support System that uses a dual-density material in the midfoot. This helps to reduce pronation.
The propulsion trusstic system utilizes a thermal plastic unit that connects the lateral heel to the medial forefoot. This helps to release stored energy and push you forward during toe-off.
Also, it has I.G.S or Impact Guidance System that provides you with a smooth and balanced heel-to-toe transition.
Also, the guidance line or a vertical groove in the forefoot improves your gait efficiency.
The midsole of Asics Gel Kayano is made from FlyteFoam Blast. It is a lightweight environmentally friendly material and will provide you with balanced and durable cushioning.
Apart from that, these running shoes have some of the same features as the previous one like a gel cushioning system (although present in the forefoot and rearfoot), Dynamic DuoMax Support System, IGS.
This midsole also has, Space Trusstic which reduces the weight of the sole, and provides stability, and retains the structural integrity of the shoe.
Also, it has a gender-specific trusstic that is fine-tuned for the biomechanical needs of men and women and provides them with protection and a smooth ride.
The upper of Asics Gel-DS Trainer is made from Performance Knit. It is a lightweight mesh material that will provide you with a good fit.
It stretches with your foot providing you with a good fit and a non-restrictive running experience. Also, it is a no-sew design and will provide you with excellent comfort without irritating your feet.
The Asics pattern is made from an overlay and the flat laces will secure the shoe on your foot while the properly cushioned tongue and collar will provide you with excellent ankle stability.
The upper of Asics Gel-Kayano is made from engineered mesh. This is a lightweight mesh that provides structure to the shoe.
It flexes with your feet providing you with more natural movement. Also, it has an external heel clutch that has an exoskeletal structure and wraps around the heels for a secured fit. It also has a new X-shaped structure that is lined with memory foam for a more personalized fit.
It has an EVA sockliner that provides you with added cushioning.
In terms of weight, Asics Gel-Kayano is heavier than Asics DS Trainer.
Asics Gel Kayano weighs around 9.1oz /258g for women and 10.9oz/209g for men.
Asics DS Trainer weighs around 6.7oz/190g for women and 8.5oz/241g for men.
The price of Asics Gel Kayano is much more than that of Asics DS Trainer. For the latest versions i.e Asics Gel-Kayano 28 and Asics Gel-DS Trainer 26, there is a price difference of around $30. (At the time of writing this post)
Since these running shoes belong to the same category and are capable of serving a similar set of runners, you can go for either of them based on the distance that you are running and your budget. If you are a shorter distance runner your choice will be either Asics Kayano or Asics DS Trainer. However, if you are a long-distance runner and want to choose between any of these two, your obvious choice will be Asics Kayano.
However, there are few alternatives can be excellent alternatives to these two running shoes. They are cushy, comfortable, and are a good candidate for your shoe rotation.
We have mentioned a couple of them below. Do take a look.
Running Shoes Similar To Asics Gel-Kayano 28
Asics Gel-Kayano is a stability plus neutral running shoe. It will provide you with excellent cushioning and is great for any kind of running.
It is a lightweight running shoe and will provide you with a premium step-in feel. Running in these shoes will provide you with a very pleasurable running experience.
Brooks Adrenaline GTS will be the perfect alternative to Asics Gel-Kayano. They are well cushioned and will provide you with an excellent running experience. They are stability running shoes and will protect your knees from excessive movement.
- THIS WOMEN'S SHOE IS FOR: Runners looking for a supportive shoe that's soft and smooth, the Adrenaline GTS 21 offers an improved ride and reliable support for however your body moves so you can forget the shoes and enjoy the run. This Brooks Adrenaline GTS 21 is a certified PDAC A5500 Diabetic shoe and has been granted the APMA Seal of Acceptance.
- SUPPORT AND CUSHION: Provides just the right amount of stability and support, great for overpronation while providing high energizing cushioning. Ideal for road running, cross training, the gym or wherever you might want to take them! Predecessor: Adrenaline GTS 20
- BALANCED, SOFT CUSHIONING: The DNA LOFT Crash Pad cushions each footfall and works with BioMoGo DNA to adapt to your every stride.
Last update on 2023-09-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Running Shoes Similar To Asics Gel-DS Trainer 26
Asics Gel-DS Trainer is a stability plus neutral running shoe. It will provide you with a good amount of cushioning and is great for short distances or for day-to-day running.
It is breathable and will provide you with a comfortable in-shoe experience.
A running shoe that will be able to provide you with a similar running experience is Brooks Launch GTS. It is lightweight stability running shoe that is great for shorter distances. It will provide you with an excellent in-shoe running experience and will provide you with a comfortable run.
This may be one of the best running shoe alternatives to Asics Gel Trainer.
- THIS MEN'S SHOE IS FOR: The Launch GTS 8 is for runners who want a lightweight shoe with a fast, fun ride plus trusted GuideRails support. Durable enough for training but light enough for race day, the Launch GTS 8 is designed to keep up on every run. Predecessor: Brooks Ravenna 11.
- MAXIMUM SUPPORT: The Launch GTS 8 is the more supportive version of the Launch 8. The integrated GuideRails holistic support system keeps excess movement in check to keep you moving comfortably and providing support beyond just the feet, to the most injury-prone part of a runner’s body: the knees.
- LIGHTWEIGHT CUSHIONING: Brooks lightest BioMoGo DNA midsole cushioning provides a fast and supportive ride without the extra weight - perfect for days when you are working on your speed.
Last update on 2023-09-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
In the above sections, you will find almost all the similarities and differences between Asics Gel Kayano Vs DS Trainer. However, we liked one of them a bit more than the other.
Asics Gel Kayano provides you with excellent cushioning using its gel technology. It also has a Flytefoam blast which is a lightweight midsole material for cushioning. Also, it is great for day-to-day and even long-distance running. Plus it is capable of catering to the same set of runners as Asics Gel DS Trainer.
These are the reasons that we chose Asics Gel Kayano over Asics Gel-DS Trainer.
If you own any of these and are interested to get featured in our posts, let us know… We would love to share your story with our readers…
Blogger and a fitness enthusiast. She loves running and Yoga and everything in between. She started running to manage her weight and to eat to her heart’s content. A true foodie at heart she shares whatever knowledge she has gained throughout the years about weight management and fitness.