Last Updated: February 8th, 2021
Last year, Amazon pulled off one of the biggest shopping events in the history of online shopping – It’s own creation – Amazon Prime Day.
Almost everything you wanted was on discounts for Prime members.
Even if you were not a Prime member, you could avail full benefits by creating a free 30-day Prime membership trial account.
Also, there are some tips and tricks that will help you to stay ahead of the crowd and take full advantage of this shopping extravaganza.
On this page
- ✅ Amazon Prime Day 2019 – Everything you need to know
- 1. What is Amazon Prime Day?
- 2. When is Amazon Prime Day 2019?
- 3. How early will Prime Day deals begin?
- 4. How to get the best early prime day deals?
- 5. Who is Prime Day for?
- 6. Why should I care about Prime Day?
- 7. I’m not a Prime Member. Can I participate in Amazon Prime Day?
- 8. How do I stay on top of Prime Day deals?
- 9. Can Prime Student members participate in Prime Day deals?
- 10. What deals do we expect during Prime Day 2019?
- 11. I can’t wait for July. Where can I find good deals now?
- 12. How do I prepare for Amazon Prime Day?
- 13. What were the best-selling items from Prime Day 2018?
- 14. Why does Prime Day matter so much more to Amazon?
- 15. How much money did Amazon make on Prime Day?
- 16. Is there a history behind Prime Day?
- 17. What other retailers participate in Prime Day?
- 18. Which countries will participate in Amazon Prime Day 2019?
- 19. Is Amazon Prime Day really about the deals?
- 20. How does Amazon Prime Day work?
- 21. How fast will my Prime Day shipments arrive?
- 22. Will Amazon’s One-Day Shipping make Prime Day better?
- 23. Any exclusive launches happening on Prime Day?
- 24. Where can I find more Prime Day advice?
- 25. Will Amazon Prime Day offer better deals than Father’s Day?
- 26. Will there be anything in the physical storefronts on Prime Day?
- 27. Why did Amazon crash on Prime Day?
- 28. Did the crash cost it money?
- 29. Why there was workers strike and request to boycott on Prime Day?
- 30. What could Amazon have done better on Prime Day?
- 31. Will Amazon Prime Day 2019 do things differently?
- 32. Will it impact Black Friday and Cyber Monday?
- 33. What else should I know about Amazon Prime Day?
- 34. Prime Day special deals at Whole Foods
1. What is Amazon Prime Day?
Another marketing gimmick?
Not at all.
It is a way in which Amazon says ‘thank you’ to its Prime Customers.
According to the company, Amazon Prime Day is their biggest annual shopping event.
Amazon hosts its Prime Day in the middle of July, annually and announces the day typically at the end of June or start of July.
Last year, it was announced on the 2nd of July.
Amazon claims that this shopping event is even big for them, even bigger than Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
If you are a Prime member, you will get a 36-hour window to participate in this deal frenzy, exclusive to you.
Also, you will get 1-day free shipping of millions of items, access to thousands of Prime Video, photo storage and much more.
Even if you are not, you can still catch all the deals and get all the benefits of Prime Day by signing up for a 30-day free trial.
But be cautious. Amazon will charge you after 30 days. So, keep a reminder to cancel it on time if you don’t intend to keep it.
2. When is Amazon Prime Day 2020?
Amazon has not released the official date of Amazon Prime Day 2020.
Typically they announce the dates at the end of June or start of July.
Last year it was 2nd July.
It is expected to last at least 36 hours, if not more.
Based on what we have seen throughout the years, we are pretty confident that, this year it will be somewhere around 10th to 17th July.
- Amazon hosts its Prime Day generally in the middle of the month of July.
- In 2018 it started on a Monday and in 2019 also it started on Monday July 15.
But obviously, the above dates are our calculated guess. We will keep you posted as and when it is announced.
However, start preparing for it from right now when you still have plenty of time.
3. How early will Prime Day deals begin?
Since Amazon has not officially announced the date yet, we cannot give you the exact window.
However, before this big date, we have seen that sellers start to drop their prices.
Typically this starts to happen 2-3 days prior.
Keep an eye on the deals if you want to catch some deals early.
In the Amazon Prime Day buying frenzy, you may not be able to get the deals that you want.
4. How to get the best early prime day deals?
To be honest, there is no direct approach. You need a bit of discipline.
You have to make a habit of checking Amazon’s Prime Early Deals page.
This way you will always be up to date for the latest deals up for your grab.
5. Who is Prime Day for?
Amazon Prime Day is for anyone who has a Prime membership.
This is a way by which Amazon gives back to its coveted members.
Also, according to Amazon, these memberships can participate in Amazon Prime Day:
- Amazon Prime Monthly and Annual Members
- Amazon Prime Free Trial Members
- Prime Student Members
- Amazon household Members
Since these deals are exclusive, the non-Prime members will not have access to these super lucrative deals.
However, there is a small workaround for all the non-Prime members.
By the way, when you are at it, make sure to enjoy the videos and other perks that come with this account.
Once, the 30 days are over, cancel your account. This way you don’t have to maintain the subscription with Amazon.
Now, how’s that? 😉
6. Why should I care about Prime Day?
Well, you don’t have to.
But if you are someone like me, who doesn’t like to pay full price for something they want, then you must care.
Most of the shopping sites provide you with good to great deals during Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
However, with Amazon’s Prime Day, it is like celebrating Black Friday in July…heard of July black Friday? Anyone?
This means no matter what your needs are, be it something for your dorm room or a luxury mattress or something else…Amazon has the perfect deal for you.
Because they are not providing deals in one or two categories…
Also, since it is exclusive to Prime members, the deals are generally better and you have to deal with fewer competitors.
In short, you have more chance of getting the right deal that you want…
7. I’m not a Prime Member. Can I participate in Amazon Prime Day?
Yes and No.
If you continue being a non-Prime member you cannot.
You have to be a Prime member to get the deals that are exclusive to the membership.
But don’t get disheartened.
We have a solution and you can participate in it without spending a dime…
Sign up for 30 days free Prime Membership Trial and enjoy the Prime Day benefits along with all the perks that come with a Prime Account.
Just remember to cancel the account once your 30 days are over. Otherwise, Amazon will charge for the subscription.
8. How do I stay on top of Prime Day deals?
With Amazon Prime Day 2019 shopping event, Amazon will be providing you with exclusive deals over millions and millions of products.
Unfortunately, in the past, it has happened on a Monday (talk about Monday Blues)
Since it is a weekday, you cannot devote so much time to shopping.
You will be mostly starting at a computer or will be busy with meetings or conferences.
What to do?
Should you let all the deals go to waste?
You have two options…
a. Download and install the Amazon app on your SmartPhone:
This is a good option for a first time user. You will get a credit of $10 which you can use anytime.
We would suggest to save and use it during Prime Day. This is like a bonus on top of the great deals.
Other benefits are your set alerts for upcoming deals, watch deals and also check them when quickly when they go live.
This way you can take full advantage of Prime Day without stepping away from your work.
If for some reason you don’t have access to your phone during your work hours, you can install Amazon’s Assistant browser extension.
It is free to install and first-time users will get a credit of $5.
With this extension, you can not only keep a close tab on the deals but also discover products and compare prices as you shop across the web.
So, don’t worry…if you cannot skip work, you always have a way to participate in this huge shopping festival. 😉
Apart from these two options here are some more:
c. Amazon Smile:
It is the same service that you will get from Amazon, the only difference is that you will be able to participate in a good cause.
What is the sole purpose of Amazon’s Echo device?
And the answer is…
You guessed it right, to sell you stuff.
So, order Alexa to add stuff to your cart and take full advantage of this feature.
Yes, this is still an option, in case you are thinking.
So, get hooked up and start shopping.
9. Can Prime Student members participate in Prime Day deals?
Absolutely. Any kind of Prime membership holder can participate including Prime Student Membership in Prime Deal Day.
Also, the best part of Prime Student Membership is:
- A free trial for 6 months.
- Payless than $7/month (approx.).
- Fast delivery which can be as fast as today.
- Watch award-winning TV Shows and Movies for free for 6 months.
- Access to College deals and promotions.
- Access to Prime Reading.
- Access to Original Audio Series from Audible.
- Free unlimited photo storage.
- 30 min early access to Amazon Lighting Deals.
10. What deals do we expect during Prime Day 2020?
On Prime Day you will be seeing different kinds of deals.
All revolve around the general theme of lesser price.
However, each of them is a bit different.
Here is what to look for:
Deals of the Day:
These are the Daily deals from Amazon.
Most of the times you will be able to catch these deals and missing out on them is minimal.
These deals come and go fast, literally at the speed of lightning.
Most of the times you will see these deals sell out within six hours.
I’ve seen them go as fast as 10 mins.
Also, on a Prime Day, you can count on it to go away in a blink of an eye.
Literally they vanish within seconds as they appear.
So you have to be on high alert to crack these deals.
To maximize sell, many times sellers will provide buyers with coupons during Amazon Prime Day.
Sometimes you will have to apply it manually and sometimes it will be automatic.
However, the amount of discount that you will get and the savings that you will have makes this effort worth it.
11. I can’t wait for July. Where can I find good deals now?
I get it…
Prime Day is almost 6 weeks away and you might need something right now.
Here are some best deals that you can catch for fitness equipment and running shoes:
Nike Revolution 4 Running Shoes – This Amazon bestseller is very comfortable durable and now is available at a very affordable price
ASICS Gel-Venture 6 Running Shoe – This is one of the best running shoes available in the market and is the #1 best seller in trail running shoes.
Also, it is very affordable, durable and can be used on the roads also.
Garmin vívoactive 3 Music– One of the best GPS smartwatches around. It can store up to 500 songs and is excellent to keep track of any kind of workout.
Xtreme Elite ReVibe Vibration Roller – Deep tissue massage with four-speed Vibration. Pre-workout muscle activation or post-workout muscle recovery.
Also, check out the other deals on this page. I’m sure you will find exactly what you are looking for.
12. How do I prepare for Amazon Prime Day?
From a preparation perspective, there is not much to do for Amazon Prime Day.
However, you want to make sure that your Prime membership is active and current.
If not renew your account and be ready for your Prime Day.
Also, if you have already set up auto-payment, make sure that the credit card on the record is valid.
If not update your credit card details to avoid any kind of last moment surprise.
However, if you are new to Amazon and don’t have a Prime membership, worry not.
You can create a 30 day Prime Free Trial Account to enjoy the benefits of Prime Day.
You can cancel it anytime if you want to within 30 days and without paying a dime.
Also, if you are a student, you can go for a trial Prime Student Account which has free for 6 months.
14. Why does Prime Day matter so much more to Amazon?
Amazon’s Prime Day often gets compared to Black Friday.
However, they are entirely different. The sole purpose of Amazon Prime Day is to get buyers to enroll for Amazon’s Prime membership.
On Black Friday, every site has a deal. So, essentially all the retailers are wrestling on the same grounds and for the same buyers.
This means, there is not a much-added benefit to the retailer in terms of additional profit.
It could be a tad bit higher.
However, Prime Day is owned by Amazon. So, by encouraging buyers with special deals on this special day, Amazon is basically taking advantage of the buyers’ extra spending capacity.
With these special deals, buyers’ will not flock to Amazon to buy.
In fact, if you check the best selling products on that day, you will see how impulsive shoppers were when they were browsing through Amazon.
However, this also means that Amazon has a virtual monopoly and thus profits on that day.
Why shouldn’t they care more than when Christmas is happening twice in a year for them
15. How much money did Amazon make on Prime Day?
It was predicted that Amazon will gross at least $3.4 billion in 2019.
Since Amazon did not release the actual sales data for Prime Day, we cannot be sure whether that was accurate or not.
However, it did say that third-party sellers sold billion of dollars worth of products in just one day.
Also, it mentioned that “sales this Prime Day surpassed Cyber Monday, Black Friday and the previous Prime Day when comparing 36-hour periods, making this once again the biggest shopping event in Amazon history.”
16. Is there a history behind Prime Day?
Prime Day was started by Amazon in 2015 as a way to celebrate its 20th Anniversary.
From there, every year it has focused itself to make the event a bit bigger than its previous year.
Initially, there were random products that used to be on sale and a one-day sale.
Last year it was a 36 hours event and we are expecting it to be longer this year extended at least to 42 hours.
Also, the deals have become better and the discounts are available on more than 1 million products.
On this day, not only Amazon’s own product is on sale, but also popular products from bigger brands like Instant Pot, Bose, etc are also on sale.
17. What other retailers participate in Prime Day?
On Prime Day Amazon literally used to have a monopoly in sales and their profit margin is huge (assumed).
Seeing this, other retailers also have started to implement their own version of Prime Day.
Some of the well-known retailers are:
- Best Buy
We are expecting a way bigger number of retailers to participate in July Prime Day and presenting a wide array of discounts on varieties of products.
It may so happen that they even provide you with 1-day shipping and a week-long sale.
We have to wait it out for this as none of them would-be participants have disclosed anything.
18. Which countries will participate in Amazon Prime Day 2020?
Prime Day is a global event for Amazon and its customers.
So, all the countries in which Amazon is active will celebrate Amazon Prime Day 2020.
Here is the list of 17 participating countries as per last year:
- United States
- United Kingdom
This year Amazon is yet to announce the list of countries and we are expecting it to be even bigger than last year.
19. Is Amazon Prime Day really about the deals?
It was found in some independent surveys that Prime Customers spend more than twice than that of non-Prime Customers.
This is the sole reason that Amazon is trying to acquire more Prime customers and that is the reason that it dedicates more than a day to this set of customers.
In other words, Amazon Prime Day has only one goal – to promote Amazon’s Prime Service.
20. How does Amazon Prime Day work?
When Amazon Prime Day begins, you may not find the deals you are looking for immediately.
Check back in three to six hours and you will be able to grab them.
Last year Amazon released the deals in batches, three hours apart.
This year it is expected that it will be six hours apart.
Logically speaking, this means Amazon may extend the time for each deal and may also increase the length of Prime Day.
21. How fast will my Prime Day shipments arrive?
Recently Amazon has announced that it is working on 1-Day shipping for Prime members.
In fact, some of the products are already showing 1-Day shipping.
Amazon already has 1-Day shipping, so what’s new with that?
Actually 2 things:
It will be a free 1 Day Shipping.
It will be exclusive for Prime Members.
Since Amazon is gearing up for Prime Day, we are expecting this transition to be done by that time.
So, to answer the above question, your Prime Day shipment may arrive as early as the next day of ordering.
22. Will Amazon’s One-Day Shipping make Prime Day better?
I think this will be a show stopper. Amazon’s One-Day Shipping combined with steep discounts will turn this event a shopping fest.
Since Amazon has started to provide this facility to some areas from starting of this year, you may expect a very smooth operation by the time Prime Day arrives.
Also, think about the wonderful shopping experience you will have. You ordered something on Prime Day and it is at your doorstep the next day.
This is what I call ‘Shoppers’ Bliss’.
23. Any exclusive launches happening on Prime Day?
Last year we saw some new products being launched on Prime Day like Alexa activated faucet, Crayola crayon sets, etc.
This year also we are expecting the same. However, Amazon has a way to spoil its customers.
Maybe they will launch something which is exclusive during Prime Day. Who knows?
24. Will Amazon Prime Day offer better deals than Father’s Day?
Father’s day is just around the corner and as you have guessed already, Amazon will provide you with deals for Father’s Day.
Since Amazon Prime Day is more focused on wooing customers, the deals that you will get will mostly be better.
Also, there will be more options to choose from on Prime Day than Father’s Day.
So, if you can wait a bit, you will get a much better deal on the same product for your father.
I tell you what, give a small anticipation gift to your father on Father’s Day.
Then shop your heart out on Prime Day and gift your father a boatload of surprises.
25. Will there be anything in the physical storefronts on Prime Day?
Prime Day is meant for Prime members and the entire event happens online.
However, you may see more “Smile Boxes” a couple of days prior to leading up to the event.
Well, those of you don’t know about the smile boxes here is a bit of history…
Last year, Amazon sent giant ‘Smile Boxes’ to 5 major cities – New York, Los Angeles, London, Milan, and Tokyo.
They opened the boxes prior to Prime Day and they turned out to be actual events based on Prime Perk.
New York had Ariana Grande’s concert which was streamed live online, Los Angeles had PUBG Squad Showdown which was streamed live on Twitch along with a live performance by Deadmau5.
This year we are expecting many more surprises for many more cities.
26. Why did Amazon crash on Prime Day?
Last year on Prime Day Amazon Struggled to keep up with the traffic.
This problem was not confined to the Amazon site but also spilled over to other services like Prime and Twitch.
Customers could not do much in the first 15 mins and faced issues like the cart becoming empty suddenly, or nonfunctional link, Prices won’t load properly.
Some customers could not even access Amazon at all.
This was mainly related to the US. However, some of it got spilled to the UK as well.
In UK problems with Prime Video lasted well into the evening.
This was the worst outage in the history of Amazon and lasted for 63 minutes.
But why this happened?
According to the documents seen by CNBC, it seems like there were two main reasons for this outage.
The number of servers available to cope with the demand was less. Amazon should have procured more servers.
However, the possibility could be they underestimated the amount of traffic that they would receive.
Secondly, this shortage of servers caused cascading disk failure. This made other services inaccessible.
To deal with it Amazon killed the international traffic for some time. This reduced the load and things started to flow smoothly.
27. Did the crash cost money?
Most of the people speculated that this crash cost Amazon more than $100 million in lost sales.
However, Amazon disagrees saying that the effect on sale was minimal.
28. Why there were workers strike and request to boycott on Prime Day?
Workers have often accused of amazon of bad working practices with long working hours being the most prominent.
They figured that on Prime Day their concerns can get maximum attention.
So, workers from Spain and Germany went on strike to put forward their demands.
Also, activists urged everyone to boycott Prime Day as a way to send a message to Amazon for their bad treatment to workers and their tax arrangements.
This request for boycott also highlighted that there was an increase in health and safety complaints from UK workers.
However, Amazon denied all of these allegations and said that the number of health incidents actually deceased in the leading weeks to Prime Day.
Also, they invited anyone and everyone to take a tour of their facilities.
If you wish to learn more about that, you can get more information from here.
29. What could Amazon have done better on Prime Day?
Amazon being one of the biggest retailers should have anticipated the amount of traffic that they will get on Prime Day.
This is not only for Amazon’s main site but also for the other services that they provide like Prime.
Since, they failed to anticipate that, it resulted in extremely bad user experience.
Some of the deals that Amazon provided on Prime Day we not at all great.
This could have lead to lesser conversion.
Also, some of the products that were on sale were available in Amazon at a much lower price and that too after a couple of weeks.
So, it somewhere left a small dent on customer’s trust.
Another key thing is, it somewhat reflected badly on their reputation.
They are one of the providers of cloud infrastructure. However, a major reason for the Prime Day debacle was related to infrastructure.
This is not only bad for that side of the business but is a major embarrassment for Amazon.
30. Will it impact Black Friday and Cyber Monday?
As the above data shows, Prime members are likely to purchase more.
So, Amazon is more focused on acquiring them. That’s means, Prime Day is a priority for Amazon.
However, that doesn’t mean that Amazon will not participate in Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
It will, however, since Prime Day is their priority, you will get better deals on Prime Day than that in Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
31. What else should I know about Amazon Prime Day?
If you are excited about Prime Day and want to crush the deals, here are some PRO tips:
- Keep your Prime membership current. In case, you don’t have the membership yet start your Prime 30-day free membership trial.
- Save the dates so that you don’t miss out on the deals.
- Turn on 1-Click purchases. It will help you to shop at least 50% faster than others.
- Take advantage of amazon reload and earn a 2% rewards (only for Prime members)
- Don’t be extremely choosy. If your preferred brand for a particular product is not on sale, select an alternative good product that will serve you the same purpose.
- Watch those lighting deals like a hawk. They go away in the blink of an eye. So, the faster you can get aboard, the more you will win.
- Use Alexa of Amazon Smart Devices to find deals faster. That way you way ahead than the crowd.
- Pre-select your items and leave them in the shopping cart.
- Download the Amazon App so that all the deals are at your fingertips.
- Prepare your grocery list early so that you can take full advantage of whole foods at Amazon.
32. Prime Day special deals at Whole Foods
They can rack up to $30 in cashback on one trip.
Also, they can get a lot of other deals and special deals on Prime Day.
Here are some of the products which were heavily discounted on Amazon Prime Day:
- Boneless chicken breasts, $3.99 per pound, (40% off)
- Icelandic cod fillets, $8.99/lb., (save $6 per pound)
- Organic strawberries, 1 pound container, 2 for $5
- Allegro bagged coffee, buy one, get one free
- MegaFood Vitamins & Supplements, (30% off)
- RXBAR Protein Bars, all flavors, 2 for $3
- Waterloo Sparkling Water (12 pack 12 oz. cans), 2 for $7
- Honey Nut Cheerios, buy one, get one free
- Lesley Stowe Raincoast Crisps, $4.99
- Self-serve tea cookies by the pound, (40% off)
Amazon Prime Day is one of the best shopping events that happen every year apart from Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
The deals are really good and you can save some serious cash in those deals.
Also, the deals are not limited to Amazon’s site but also in Whole Foods where you get a lot of excellent deals on everyday products.
Moreover, if you are a Prime member, you can enjoy an additional 2% cashback whenever you recharge.
To avail of all these benefits and to participate in Prime Day extravaganza, you have to have a Prime membership or a Prime Student membership.
Also, you don’t need to pay upfront as the fully functional Prime membership comes with a 30-day free trial.
In case, you are a student then also you can avail of these facilities by activating your free Prime student membership for a period of six months.
So, go ahead and get our trial activated.
Blogger and a fitness enthusiast. She loves running and Yoga and everything in between. She started running to manage her weight and to eat to her heart’s content. A true foodie at heart she shares whatever knowledge she has gained throughout the years about weight management and fitness.